Monday, February 7, 2011

Haagen-Dazs vs. Ben & Jerry's

I just bought both a tub of B&J's and H-D's cookie dough ice cream. I keep trying Haagen-Dazs because it just has to be better than it always is. It's the original gourmet ice cream! How the hell is it so disappointing?

I don't know how, but it is. Time and time again, I try it and am let down. It's never bad, certainly, but it's never good and is usually inferior to good half-gallon brands like Turkey Hill. So yeah, continuing, I compared the two and Ben & Jerry's, as always, came out on top. Haagen-Dazs has an excellent finish that B&J's is lacking. It feels like it was made with fresh vanilla. The cookie dough also has a floury taste that makes it taste more like real cookie dough.

Regardless, the Ben & Jerry's vanilla flavor, while not as complex, has much more punch to it. Ben & Jerry's is denser, with a richer, smoother texture to it. The same goes for the cookie dough, which is sweeter than Haagen-Dazs. There's also more of it, and as Ben & Jerry's knows full well, the best ice cream is ice cream that's being used to glue together bits of other things. I tell myself that this will be the last time that I buy Haagen-Dazs, but I'm sure that I'll try again.

So yeah, if you want a cookie dough ice cream, Ben & Jerry's should be at the top of your list.

2 comments:

Matt Klein said...

Good Article, but why are you wasting your time. B&J and Haagen-Dazs are both inferior products when compared to Graeters, www.graeters.com . Graeters is a midwest regional firm tha5t is slowly going national. They flat-out have the best ice cream, no-holds barred.

Try it! They will ship it to you.

Aaron Martin-Colby said...

Hey Matt,

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I've already ordered some ice cream. I figured I should order while it's still cold out. I look forward to trying it.

There are a number of smaller brands that I find better to anything on the supermarket shelves, for example, in Rhode Island, we had a company that made ice cream so dense it had its own gravity. Delish! Still, I've got to try and review stuff that's more widely available.

If you ever find yourself in southern Rhode Island, though, stop into The Inside Scoop for the absolute best cookies and cream on Earth.